Illinois State University | Summer Teacher Education Partnership for Urban Preparation

Illinois State University | Summer Teacher Education Partnership for Urban Preparation

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Little Village Day 1

Hello Family and Friends,

Today the Fellows in Little Village moved in with their host families, went through Day 1 orientation, and ventured over to the Healing the Hood event. Below are some thoughts and videos about the day:

“When I first arrived at my host family’s house, I was overwhelmed with how welcoming, comforting, and awesome my host family was. I was so glad to have connected with them right away and my nerves of living with strangers fled my body. I appreciated how supportive they were of me and Christine [my roommate]. It made me realize that a complete stranger of a different ethnicity and culture other than my own could have such high hopes of me. It reminded me what teachers should do, who they should be in the classroom, to all children regardless of where they come from, to make them feel safe.”

-Laura Montgomery, Little Village Fellow



No comments:

Post a Comment